Health & Safety Policy
Health and Safety Policy 218-07 Policy
1. The intent of this policy is to establish and enact a Health and Safety Management System designed to protect the physical, social, and psychological well-being of our employees, facilities, contractors and the general public.
2. The Town of High Level believes that physical, social, and psychological well-being, accident prevention and the preservation of health are of primary importance in all of our operations.
3. Council, Administration and Senior Management will set an example and provide leadership in the Health and Safety Management System through adherence to their respective roles and responsibilities of the Health and Safety Management System, and any and all applicable laws, regulations, and codes.
4. Employees and contractors at every level are accountable and responsible for the Town of High Level’s safety performance. To achieve this, active participation in working towards improved safety conditions at work by everyone, everyday, in every job is necessary.
5. The Town shall ensure that the people being supervised are made aware of their responsibilities and duties under the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulation and Code, any other applicable Provincial or Federal legislation, as well as the Town of High Level’s Health and Safety Management System.
6. The Town will provide the resources required for the orientation of new employees, job training, safe work practices/procedures, and personal protective equipment. The Town will also provide resources for the physical and psychological well-being of its employees.
7. Employees and contractors at every level must be familiar with the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations and Code as it pertains to their work.
8. The Town will maintain and support a Joint Workplace Health and Safety Committee. This committee comprised of management and employees will assist in the identification and resolution of health and safety issues in support of the Town’s Health and Safety Management System.
9. The Town will make every reasonable effort to provide meaningful employment to any employee who is unable to perform their normal job function as a consequence of injury or illness.
10.For the protection of our employees, the public and for the maintenance of our health and safety program, this policy will be reviewed and signed by the Mayor and CAO annually before January 31st.