The purpose of the public consultation is to ensure there are opportunities for the public, landowners, and affected stakeholders to be made aware of the annexation application and have an opportunity to provide input before the matter is considered by the Land and Property Rights Tribunal.
Public consultation also offers the Town of High Level an opportunity to develop an understanding of concerns raised and to establish applicable mitigation measures, if required.
The consultation process will be open and transparent. It will ensure interested parties are provided information regarding the various opportunities to provide feedback and to ensure adequate and informative details are provided regarding the annexation process. Reasonable measures will be taken to ensure those with an interest in the annexation will have access to relevant information and have their views and opinions heard. Town of High Level is aware of the need to communicate with and receive input from the following:
- Landowners located within the area proposed for annexation. Since the lands are all Crown lands the Town has contacted the relevant Provincial Department or agency directly for input:
- Local Authorities impacted by the annexation,
- Tenants at the High Level Airport, and
- Residents of High Level and Mackenzie County.
Various consultation methods will be used to engage affected authorities, landowners, and the public including the following:
- Information Letter
The Town of High Level has sent an information letter to the affected landowners (as it appears on the Certificates of Title), affected Local Authorities and other stakeholders. This information letter provides details of the annexation proposal, the process, contact information, and an outline of the annexation steps.
- Public Open Houses
The Town of High Level will host an open house for the public to ask questions, provide input and highlight any issues or concerns.
The open house will be held on September 7, 2022:
Consultation stations will be set up in two places:
- Council chambers, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Get to Know You Night (High Level Sports Complex Curling Pad), 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The Town of High Level has created this webpage to provide information and gather input. The Town will use its social media platforms to do the same. The Town’s website will be updated as new information becomes available and as the annexation proceeds.
- Written Input
In addition to verbal input at open houses and meetings, interested parties are encouraged to provide written feedback and comments at any time.
Affected Authorities and Stakeholders
Written notice of the proposed annexation has been sent to the following local authorities and Stakeholders:
- Alberta Forestry and Parks
- Alberta Environment and Protected Areas
- Alberta Health Services
- Alberta Infrastructure
- Alberta Municipal Affairs
- Alberta Transportation
- Apex Utilities Inc.
- ATCO Electric
- Beaver First Nation
- Canada Post
- CP Rail System
- Dene Tha’ First Nation
- Federation of Alberta Gas Co-ops Ltd.
- Fort Vermilion School Division
- Fortis Alberta Ltd.
- Land and Property Rights Tribunal
- Mackenzie County
- Michael Mihaly
- Northern Lights Gas Co-op
- Paddle Prairie Metis Settlement
- Town of Rainbow Lake
- Telus Communications Inc.
- The Honourable Prasad Panda
- 769507 Alberta Ltd.
- 959947 Alberta Ltd.
- 1036840 Alberta Ltd.
- 1496153 Alberta Ltd.
- 1903004 Alberta Ltd.
- Can-West Air Corporate Air Charters
- Central Mountain Air
- Delta Helicopters
- Doug Majaesic Professional Corporation
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Kim Bancarz
- NAV Canada
- Northwestern Air Lease Ltd.
- Tucana Aviation Services Ltd.
- Carey S. Chonkolay
- Cenovus Energy Inc.
- Paul Steffanson
- Terence Harvey Lewsaw
- Tolko Industries Ltd.
- Watt Mountain Wanderers Snowmobile Club
The Town of High Level captured input from nine (9) individuals at the open house in Council Chambers, and an additional twenty (20) people at the “Get to Know You Night” event at the High Level Sports Complex Curling Rink. The Town also received several email and letters responses from affected authorities, landowners, and other stakeholders within and outside of the annexation area. This feedback has been captured and responded to in the Annexation Application