Family & Community Support Services
Family and Community Support Services strives to provide services and resources to create resilient community members, thereby enabling people to sustain healthy lifestyles. High Level FCSS is committed to Youth Development, Family Development and Community Development. FCSS offers assistance to individuals such as referrals to community organizations and completion of government forms. A community organization contact list is maintained by FCSS.
High Level FCSS provides the following programs:
- Groovy Kids Club: Before and After School Care
- Babysitters Course
- Community Welcome Package
- Family Development
- How to Get Involved
- Recreation Programs
- Volunteer Tax Assistance
Groovy Kids Club: Before and After School Care
- FCSS offers an after school kids’ program for children in grades 1-3 that attend Florence MacDougall Community School. Groovy Kids Club provides a safe environment where youth will be entertained and engaged through group and individual activities that are designed to promote healthy development. The program operates when school is in session throughout the year. Transportation to and from school is completed by a Fort Vermilion School Division Bus.
- Time and Location:
- Tohl Program room. We have occasional park days, field trips, and gym days. Any location changes will be communicated to parents via the Groovy Kids Cellphone.
- Before School Care: Parents drop off 7:30am. The bus picks them up and takes them to school at 8:15am.
- After School Care: Children board the bus and arrive at the Town Office around 3:15pm. The program ends at 5:00pm. Pick up is by 5:15pm.
- Before and After Care: $250 / month
- After Only Care: $175 / month
Red Cross Babysitters Course
- The Red Cross Babysitters Course is taught by FCSS staff who are certified through the Red Cross as Babysitters Course facilitators. The program is for youth ages 11 and over. Youth will learn basic skills for caring for infants, toddlers, preschoolers and school aged children. They will also learn basic skills in injury prevention and First Aid.)
- Time & Location: TOHL meeting room 150 or 110 (will be specified upon registration)
- Fee: $50. No refunds will be issued if youth fails the course.
- For more information on course dates, contact the High Level FCSS Department at 780-821-4010.
Community Welcome Package
- A Welcome Package is available to any individual or family who have recently relocated to High Level. The package contains flyers, pamphlets and information on various programs, organizations, and services that are available within our community. It also has donated gifts, coupons and other promotional items from local businesses and organizations.
- The package will provide newcomers with the information necessary to access services and become involved in the community.
- To obtain a Newcomers Package contact the Town of High Level FCSS Programmer at 780-821-4010.
Cruise & Play
- FCSS partners with the The Village - MFRN to provide a free Biweekly program for children 0 – 6 years of age. Mats, cars, balls, and other fun motor skilled toys are set up for you and your child to play with. This is also a great opportunity to meet other parents and children within the community. Healthy snacks are provided.
- Ages: 0-6. Older siblings welcome.
- Location: High Level Sports Complex: Arena Hall Upstairs
- Dates: 2 times per month. 10-11am (keep an eye on TOHL social medias for specific dates)
- Contact FCSS 780 – 821 – 4010 for more information.
Art in the Park
- FCSS partners with the The Village - MFRN to provide a free weekly program in the summer for children 0 – 6 years of age. This is a free drop in program where parents and children come to enjoy the semi-structured outdoor play activities. There are weekly theme activities planned for children to get busy with and have fun.
- Ages: 0-6. Older siblings welcome
- Location: Centennial Pak
- Fridays in July / August
- Contact 780 821 4010 for more information.
There are many different events, programs and organizations in High Level who need help from people like you! Volunteering is a great way to contribute to your community and meet some wonderful people along the way. High Level has a wide variety of volunteering opportunities available.
If you are interested in volunteering for FCSS or any other organization please call us at 780-926-4026.
- Addictions Services
- The Village – Mackenzie Family Resource Network
- Alberta Health Services
- High Level Native Friendship Centre
- High Level Municipal Library
- Student Wellness
We believe in the importance of partnerships within the community to bring comprehensive and quality programming to the Town of High Level.
Awesome Adventures Day Camp
Our summer camp provides a place for children to come and play games and interact with other children in a safe and fun environment. Our summer staff work hard to play a summer full of fun for the campers, with field trips, outings to local parks, crafts and interactive games. The youth are sure to remember their summer with Awesome Adventures Day camp. This program is for children aged 6 – 10, and runs from 8:00 AM - 5:15 PM in the Town Hall Program Room.
Ages: 6-10 Years
When: July-August - 8:00 AM - 5:15 PM
For more information contact the FCSS office at 780-821-4026.
|Week Camp||$120.00/ Day|
|Special Activity Week Camp||$150.00/Week|
Youth Night is a free program offered one Friday every month to our town’s youth ages 10-18. Each youth night includes an activity that varies each month and food is provided.
When: Sept - June
Indoor Walking Club
Indoor Walking Club is a free program offered twice a week throughout the winter months to those aged 16 and up.
When: November - April, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-7 P.M.
Where: High Level Public School
Volunteer Tax Assistance Program
- The Volunteer Tax Program is available to individuals that earn less than $45,000 per year. FCSS staff are trained to prepare simple tax returns. More complicated tax returns cannot be processed.
- For more information or to see if you qualify for this program, contact the Town of High Level FCSS Department at 780-821-4010.
- Time and Location:
- FCSS office / Drop Off or Appointment ONLY
- Fee: Free
FCSS & Recreation Events
High Level FCSS offers the following Special Events throughout the year. Many events are hosted in collaboration with other local organizations. For more information contact the FCSS Office at 780-926-2201. Follow the Town of High Level Facebook page and the Community Events Calendar for event announcements.
- Get To Know You Night
- Family Halloween Celebration
- Family New Years Celebration
- Healthy After the Holidays
- Family Easter
- Family Day Public Skate & Swim
- Play Date at the Park
- Canada Day
- Family Fun Night
- Seniors’ Week Barbecue
- Summer End Party
- Volunteer Appreciation Night