Mayor from 2013-Present.
- Airport Beautification/Enhancement Committee
- Assessment Review Board
- Banner of Remembrance (alternate)
- Golden Range Society
- High School Bursary Committee
- Inter-governmental Negotiation Committee
- Northern Alberta Elected Leaders (NAEL)
- Regional Economic Development Initiative (REDI)
- Northwest Regional FASD Society
- Water North Coalition
- Boreal Housing Foundation
- Downtown Vitalization Committee
- Northern Transportation Advocacy Bureau (NTAB)
- North West Species at Risk (NWSAR)
- Land Stewardship Committee
- Water North Coalition (WNC)
- First Nations - Municipal Community Economic Development Initiative (CEDI)
About Mayor McAteer
Public service is my way of giving back to a community that has given me so much. Volunteering is what I have done most of my life and being a part of the Town of High Level council, is just one more public service I feel passionate about.
Council is currently facing a number of serious issues including regional governance, economic development, and land use. These issues require new conversations and new partnerships with our neighbours and require shared actions amongst us. I have always been a strong believer in working regionally and working together, so our northern voice is stronger.
It is up us...the leaders of our communities to cultivate these new relationships and I believe I can make a significant contribution. With the economic downturn over the past four years, Council has faced some tough decisions and I appreciate what we have accomplished both as a community and as a region. I believe I have made a significant contribution to High Level, based upon my forty years of volunteer experience and commitment to this community. I have served on numerous communities over the years, including The High Level Housing Board, The High Level Policing Society, and the Implementation of the new Boreal Housing board, which is the first of its kind in Canada, one that welcomed members of all four First Nations on the board.
I made a strong commitment to the citizens, the seniors and to the Dene Tha that I would work towards new economic development for our region, complete the work on an assisted-living facility and form a new partnership with the Dene Tha and the Beaver. I believe that work in this area and my extensive board experience in decision-making will continue be an asset to this council. For me, the most important issue is ensuring that council members listen on behalf of all the people and plan for the future of the community accordingly. I will be there to serve your interest, not my own.